Red lentil, chickpea & chilli Soup
Now that the summer is well & truly over with shorter evenings & a drop in temperature - it's time to warm up with this amazing Red lentil, chickpea & chilli Soup
kcalories = 222 protein = 13g carbs = 33g fat = 5g
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- large pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 140g red split lentils
- 850ml vegetable stock or water
- 400g can tomatoes, whole or chopped
- 200g carton chickpeas or ½ a can, rinsed and drained (freeze leftovers)
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (save a few leaves, to serve)
- 4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt, to serve
Cooking Method :
1) Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 minute, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
2) Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough purée, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander. Finish with a dollop of yogurt and coriander leaves.